Friday, December 13, 2013

H2 Oh-no!


As my final entry in this blog I will be responding to a post written by a fellow classmate, which can be found here.
The issue at hand is water.  As most people are aware, water is a dwindling resource in the central Texas region.  I find it somewhat ironic that this issue has been put off by the public for so long, seeing how central Texas is an arid environment and, were it not for the extensive urbanization, would look like a simple desert, not the mecca of opportunity and economic wealth that it has become.  Yet, in spite of our beautiful city, we cannot outrun or outspend the fact that we are running out of water.
My classmate brings up several good points on how to address this issue, including; drip irrigation, more personal responsibility, furthering education for farmers and watering techniques, and more penalties for poor fracking methods.  I am in strong agreement with these ideas and I also was previously unaware that the average Texan uses 72.5 gallons daily.  To me, this number seems outrageously high, yet I believe it’s accuracy.  
In the end I believe that conserving our water will come down to the individual.  I will drink on average .5 to 1 gallon of water every day... so where do the other 71 gallons come from.  Dishes, bath, and hand washing make up the rest of my water usage.  I am more than sure that I and other Texans can find ways to cut back on these elements of our every day lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment